All the yarn that's fit to knit!


Come on in, the yarn's fine!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sock Story

These are some funny looking socks. These socks were made by my mother-Anne for her father- William in the late '40's. My Grandfather was a great big man with a size 13 shoe. I am sure these socks took a long time for my mother to complete. My mother used to tell me stories about how she would start dating a young man and decide to knit him a pair or socks. She wouldn't make it through a sock before she started dating someone else. She would then tell her new beau that the socks she was working on were for him. She got a lot of mileage out of those socks. She still knits socks( and finishes them!) for my father. 

My Uncle Bill- whose initials are also WD- recently asked my mother to mend these socks. He loves them and wears them when he hunts in the Fall. They are not worn out and in need of darning- there are just a few loose edges and stitches. They are in remarkable shape for 50+ year old socks. I will carefully mend them as well as I can and send them back to Uncle Bill. They will keep his feet warm many more hunting seasons.

Maybe we can even keep them going for another generation or so- Uncle Bill has a son who has big feet and the same initials who like to hunt in the Fall.


No comments:

Sign up for our email Newsletter!