All the yarn that's fit to knit!


Come on in, the yarn's fine!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Best Christmas Present Ever!

This is one of my favorite Christmas presents ever! It is a shadowbox with 4 pairs of antique knitting needles in it. It is special in so many ways. We just recently rearranged some pictures in our family room and I wanted to share how special this is.
I am really hard to shop for. I am also really hard to surprise. I make a lot of things myself so people rarely give me anything that they have made. My husband, Chris, is pretty handy around the house and can build things and figure out how to make things work. He  is not terribly creative but he does appreciate creativity in others. About 12 years ago,when SAFF was still in Winston Salem, I said I was going on a Sunday. He said lets take all the kids and go. I tried to talk him out of it because I was really looking forward to looking at everything on my own- not with 4 kids in tow. We went and had a lovely day. I couldn't figure out why he wanted to go so badly but he was working on an idea for this present for me. He found a vendor or 2 selling antique needles and bought them without me knowing!! I am usually paying attention to what he is doing but I must have been distracted by some pretty yarn or something. He then enlisted our friends at a frame shop in Greensboro to help him frame them. They suggested a shadowbox and helped him wire the needles in place and hot glue something and mat it with a nice green mat. He then kept it hidden from me until Christmas morning. 
I couldn't believe it when I opened it. I had no idea that he made it and how much effort it took for him to find the needles then put it altogether without me knowing. And, it really looks great!
 It really is one of my favorite gifts of all time.  


No comments:

Sign up for our email Newsletter!