All the yarn that's fit to knit!


Come on in, the yarn's fine!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Game Is Afoot!

I swear the weather yesterday made me feel like I'd been transported to London...cold and dreary. If some fog had rolled in, I would have donned some tweed, pulled out a pipe, and released the hounds.  Today looks much nicer out.

I'm boogying along, however, having done the heel flap and picking up the stitches along it for the gusset.  The heel flap is a nice one, with slipped stitches providing some extra sturdy protection.  It's so nice to have something soft and green to remind me that spring is coming soon.  Especially in North Carolina!  




One problem I used to run into when picking up stitches along a heel flap was that those particular stitches seemed extra stretchy and would lead to a "laddered" look around the heel flap.  Not exactly what I was looking for.  I now knit into the back of the heel flap stitches, which twists them and closes the spaces that gap between them.  If you're running into that problem, give this solution a try.

Turning the heel shows off a particularly nice "V" heel. 




In other news, I am slowly but steadily working on another project.  I have been hankering for a cabled sweater, so here is my progress so far on scratching that particular knitterly itch:






This is Gwendolyn, designed by Fiona Ellis.  I'm enjoying getting a crash course in allll kinds of cabling action.  I've almost completed the back, and I'm in love with it.  I'm also getting a fierce craving for pretzels every time I pull it out to work on it....can't figure out why.  Mmmm, pretzels. 

Where are the pretzels?  I put them around here somewhere....


No comments:

Sign up for our email Newsletter!