All the yarn that's fit to knit!


Come on in, the yarn's fine!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's been blustery, wet, wild, snowy, and sleety out lately.  Turbulent weather all over the country, really.  Spring looks like it's shaping up to be a wild ride.  Who knows what else may happen in the next month, while spring and winter duke it out and winter finally takes the hint and moves on. 

I've been knitting homely little dish cloths again.  It's a great go-to knit to take out and about.  I cast on 27 stitches and just seed stitch my brains out until I have a square.  Nothing beats these little beasties in the kitchen, either.  There is no pot they cannot scrub clean, no mess they will not clean up.  And since it's kitchen cotton, I'm hardly prissy with them.  You can find them in all kinds of colors, variegated or solid, and they wash well and wear well, like your kid's jeans.  We don't even buy paper towels anymore because of these little cuties, so you can rationalize that kitchen cotton expenditure as "going green".  See how hard my brain works to make it ok to add to my stash? 





Because I'm the flighty little sidewinder of a knitter than I am, I'm not just knitting dishcloths.  I've been stepping out  on my projects, if you know what I mean (wink wink).  At first it was a casual glance across a crowded online knitting magazine that drew me.  That crisp color work and lack of buttonholes that said, "I'm not your average knit."  There were other signs, too.  I had (almost) all the yarn I needed for this little affair already in my stash.  That's so cool when that happens, right?  I feel almost virtuous,except for my lack of commitment to any one knit.  We swatched a little bit, nothing serious, and then things began to happen so quickly.  I thought I could keep it to just one sleeve, but I'm in over my head.  I'm sorry I've kept this from you.  It's time you knew. 








horses3_01.jpg
Of course this is not me.  I do not have two dogs, nor am I a sweater model.  It's on my  bucket list, though.  Except for the part where I kneel on the floor of a stable because that is probably a bad idea.  Horses, right?  Ew.

This is Corcovado from the online magazine Twist Collective (from Winter 2011).  I've finished the back, one sleeve, and am roaring through one of the fronts.  If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.  I'm knitting this in my good old standby, Cascade 220 wool (holla!).  It's also making me laugh because every time I show it to either my husband or my friend, something tells me that they don't like it quite as much as I do.  I get that, "ooooh, um....yeah, that's....nice" kind of comment.  In my head, I see myself channeling a little Ralph Lauren, looking bright and clean, and rocking this cardigan with a white shirt underneath and a pair of really dark blue jeans.  Classy, right?  My friend DJ alluded to the fact that I may look like a dizzy version of the American flag, however.  Hey, God Bless America, right?  Now pass the yarn. 


And to finish, I just wanted to include a picture of the Bradford Pear trees blooming against a gorgeously blue sky.  It's about time to break out some warm weather knitting, I'd say. 



1 comment:

NTDeej said...

...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sign up for our email Newsletter!