All the yarn that's fit to knit!


Come on in, the yarn's fine!

Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like .....

It is looking like Christmas at my house! I have pulled all the Christmas decorations out of the boxes and am trying to remember where everything goes and how DO we hang all  those lights?Among our most precious holiday decorations are our Christmas Stockings.
This is my Christmas stocking that was made by my mother in 1962. It is a little faded  and has been repaired over the years but it is still a good stocking and holds many memories. All of my brothers and sisters had this same style stocking and we loved imagining what Santa would fill them with. We would hang them on our door knobs when we went to sleep and we would wake up throughout the night to check if they were filled. We all tried to stay awake to catch Santa filling our stockings but we never caught him.

In the morning we would all get up and open our stockings in bed. It was a delightful half hour or so to share what surprises we each received. We all had tangerines and bananas, chocolates, and for some reason we always had Kumquats. We never saw them at any other time of the year and I don't really remember eating them but it would not have been Christmas without them. We all had special surprises in our stocking that I realized later would occupy us for awhile before we woke our parents.  

All of my extended family has Handknit Christmas  Stockings. There are many traditions involved in who makes them and when someone who marries into the family gets one. 
When I was first married and needed extra money someone  asked me to make them a Christmas Stocking. I was excited that someone else's family had the same tradition. Over the years I have made dozens of stockings. Last year I think I made 12 for the holiday season.
It is part of my own holiday tradition- to make stockings for others in November and December.   

Here are 2 for a new baby Richard and a new daughter-in-law Weezie.
























We had 2 new grand baby boys in our family this year. My mother knit the stockings and I sewed all the sequins on them.
This is my fireplace with all the stockings hung by the chimney with care. It really feels like Christmas when the stockings go up! 

I still get special surprises in my Christmas Stocking every year!



4 comments:

HANNAH said...

Made dozens of stockings? Yeah right! If you count all the repairs, teaching, helping, finishing... I'd wager that it's more like HUNDREDS! I've seen you do dozens in a few short years! You are amazing Mary! And passing on such rich talent and tradition! We are truly BLESSED to have you!

Unknown said...

The stockings look great & I hope to be able to do one someday. Maybe next year? I will have to finish my first socks in the meantime. Have a Merry Christmas & I hope to drop by the shop before the move.
Janis

Anonymous said...

Mary,

I loved your Christmas memories! Very warm and fuzzy! I wish you and yours as well as your YARNS
ETC.family a heartfelt Merry Christmas and a Very Happy, Prosperous New Year!

Love to all of you,
Vickie

Meg said...

Mary,

I loved seeing your family's stockings!! I have the same ones in my family but I did not knit them. Recently, I was able to locate the patterns. I would like to knit one for my first grandson. Do you mind telling me what yarn you used and what colors you chose? They are beautiful.

Sign up for our email Newsletter!